Copyright (c) 2005 - SpiritCompany and Berlin Brown. All Rights Reserved.
SpiritCompany is located in Atlanta, Ga
(lasted edited: Thu May 19 00:34:15 EDT 2005)
== Troubleshooting ==
This application relies on several other applications. This
application relies on a modern linux system. Your distro
may not have all the proper applications.
So! I will list all of the dependencies and you might
be able to understand your error or problem.
** Base System **
- GNU Make 3.80
- GCC version 3.4.3-20050110
(Gentoo 184.108.40.20650110-r2, ssp-220.127.116.1150110-0, pie-8.7.7)
- Python 2.3.5
- Java version "1.4.2-01" - Blackdown
- (Kernel)Linux ohio 2.4.26-gentoo-r6 #
1 Sun Aug 8 15:30:28 EST 2004 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
- GNU ld version 18.104.22.168.2 20040927
- GNU objcopy 22.214.171.124.2 20040927
- dd (coreutils) 5.2.1
- mke2fs - create an ext2 filesystem 1.35
- grub - grub (GNU GRUB 0.94)
- losetup - setup loop devices
== Current May 2005 Readme and Instructions ==
Now, try to rerun these steps based on the README and install instructions
(Note: These instructions will probably change, make sure to
go over the most recent version of the documentation supplied in the
Make sure to install the proper packages. This will include
a recent version of Bochs, Grub, Python, Possibly a recent Java JDK
1. Type 'make clean' to get rid of any garbage files
2. Type 'make' to build the operating system kernel
3. Enter the toolkit directory and go over the "Run" script. This will
create the diskimage and other misc files. Grub and Bochs must be installed
for this script to run properly.
YOU must have 'ant' and 'java' for this program to run.
YOU must install 'ant' and 'java' for this to run
1. type 'ant run'
2. make sure vmlinuz is in the root directory
3. type ./Run (must be a root user)
4. type 'cd bochs'
5. type 'bochs'
6. wait while your floppy OS runs.
7. that is all....
8. oh yea!, you could run ./WriteDisk to go to /dev/fd0
Note: you should be able to plug and play an
grub version you want. I have tried both 0.93 and 0.94
that is year(2004) so by the time you read this
they will be on version 12.0.0 and hopefully grub
Note: YOU MUST change your .bochsrc file the bochs directory.
change the line where it asks for your BIOS and change that
to your bochs root.
Note: 'ant run' the java component only has to be run once.
It's only function is to create the Run file and some other
directory creation and setup. Just run it once. Run ./Run
whenever you need to update your kernel file for example
vmlinuz. When vmlinuz changes, run ./Run. Clean
is a different story. I dont have a position on Clean. Be
careful with it though.
Typical Steps: Assume root is 'Spirit'
(assume that ant run has already been run)
1. make clean
3. make (yes I typed it twice)
4. make bochs (yea I typed it again)
5. cd java
6. ./Run( Error: invalid permissions, I mess up on this too!)
9. cd bochs
11. watch your operating system come to life.
create a hard-drive wth bximage
Note: you may also want to add this to your .bochsrc file
ata0-master: type=disk, path="c.img", mode=flat, cylinders=20, heads=16, spt=63
it adds a hard-drive